So, what’s this site about?
There’s no manual for living a good life. If you’re anything like me, you’ve found yourself asking these kinds of questions:
- How do I create success on my own terms?
- What’s the best way to become a calmer person?
- How do I go about finding happiness?
My goal is to help you figure some of this stuff out.
What this site is for
This site is a place for articles, tools and strategies that aid the search for a more fulfilling life. The idea is to digest lessons from the best thinkers – from the 1st to the 21st century – and make them accessible. Through research, writing and my own experiments I cover topics like how to:
- Develop self-awareness
- Be calm and clear minded
- Find purpose beyond money, material and status
- Create happiness on your own terms
- Kick the addictions of modern life
- Discover practical tools for mindfulness
By all accounts, my life has been rather normal:
I grew up in a suburban town with two sisters. My parents split up when I was 9. I went to school but didn’t pay much attention. When I hit 19, I left home, moved to London and got a degree.
But that was where the map ended.
Once I started to work I realised I was lost and didn’t have a compass to chart my next steps. I started to smoke marijuana every day, I ate poorly, gained weight and turned to social media to soothe my insecurities.
By the time I hit 26 I felt like a mess.
That’s when I made some big changes. I began to meditate, run regularly and started to write daily. I discovered my love of reading and learning. I changed my diet completely.
Day by day I’m discovering the tools I need to think intelligently about my life. It’s a big experiment that keeps evolving. Mistake after mistake, practice after practice. This site is my way of doing that consciously and sharing what I learn from the journey.
You can read what I’m up to right now by clicking here.
Things I do
Routine creates space, consistency and compound interest. I’ve made a few things non-negotiable in my daily routine. They provide the foundation for most of my insights and the work I create here:
- Meditating – I practice zazen daily and it’s probably the most instructive habit I’ve ever started.
- Writing – Alongside writing for this site I also journal each morning.
- Movement – Strength exercise and stretching to keep me in tune.
- Reading – One of the best ways to broaden your perspective and find material outside of your own experiences.
What brought you here?
What questions are you trying to answer? If they’re anything like those I mentioned above, then I hope you’ll find something here that expands your mind a little. But let me know – send an email and start a conversation.
I read them all and reply to most of them too.
Thank you for checking out my site.